NewsFool.com HomeFool.com Home

Quick FindToday's FeaturesFoolMart--------SPECIALS--------NEWSBreakfast NewsFool Plate SpecialFool On the HillConference CallsDaily DoubleDueling Fools--------STRATEGIESRule Breaker PortRule Maker PortNOW 50 IndexBoring PortDrip PortFoolish FourFoolish WorkshopStock Screens--------COMMUNITYFree RegistrationLog InGuest ViewingPolling All Fools--------PERS. FINANCEHandle DebtFool BankingTax FAQsHow to Buy a CarBuy a HomeFamily FoolInvesting for KidsThe FribbleThe HeadhunterInsurance--------RETIREMENTRetiree PortfolioManagingAnnuitiesAll About IRAs401(k)Planning--------FOOL'S SCHOOLThe 13 StepsMutual FundsDow InvestingInvestment ClubsB&H ApocalypseDiscount BrokersDRiP InvestingValuing StocksInvesting Basics--------INFO/HELPQuestionsArchivesSite IndexSearchSite Map--------MISC.Radio ShowPress AreaAdvertiseHelp WantedBookstore

BREAKFAST WITH THE FOOL

Thursday, January 27, 2000

"It is a bad plan that admits of no modification."
-- Publilius Syrus

Dell Misses Estimates, Not Big Picture

By Richard McCaffery (TMF Gibson)

Direct sales PC company Dell Computer (Nasdaq: DELL) fell in after-hours trading last night after warning investors that fiscal fourth-quarter earnings (excluding extraordinary items) will fall about $0.06 shy of analyst estimates.

The company said a shortage of semiconductor components and delayed purchases due to Y2K issues led to flat year-over-year earnings and slower-than-expected sales growth.

Further, Dell said investors should expect 30% revenue growth from here on out since the Round Rock, Texas manufacturer is now a $25 billion company.

Naturally, there was much wailing about the shortfall. I even heard one industry observer suggest Dell has gone too far with its just-in-time manufacturing approach, the implication being it will need to pad inventories a bit to meet blistering demand. Good thing Michael Dell is running the company, not this guy.

It's not significant that the company missed estimates, plain and simple. Bumps in the road such as Y2K and fluctuating component supplies are part of doing business in the technology industry, and Dell will get things straightened out. For the long-term investor, these jags are no big deal.

It is significant that the company's sales growth will slow to 30%, mainly because Dell's growth rate has defied gravity for so long. We knew the slowdown was coming, but it's still an event when it happens.

What's forgotten in the earnings stir is that Dell is a better, more profitable company today than it was a year ago. That's a fact. In terms of its ability to generate cash, which is a major component of what determines a company's intrinsic value, Dell is actually picking up speed.

Look at Dell's third-quarter income and cash flow statements for the last three years.

First Nine Months             1997-1998   1998-1999

Revenue growth                   52%         41%
Net income growth                57%       18.8%

Cash from operations growth      68%       83.5%
Free cash flow growth            64%         95%
Sure, the company's sales and earnings growth have slowed, but that's just what's happening on the surface. I highlighted the cash flow numbers since they're the best measure of Dell's real profitability, and you can see they're growing fast. As the company's influence, market share, and scale have increased, Dell's efficiencies flow right to the bottom line. There's no indication that won't continue.

As for concerns about PC growth slowing, we hear it every year. Overall, growth seems to be slowing, but Dell is growing two to three times faster than the computer systems market, which means it's capturing market share in a very fragmented industry. Further, the company has barely scratched the surface internationally.

As for the growth of information appliances -- believe it when you see it. Most of us do the bulk of our work on PCs and I think it will stay that way. Sure, I'd like to surf the Web in my car, but that doesn't mean I don't want a PC at home and in the office. Besides, if information appliances do take off, Dell will be right there.

Not that the company doesn't have issues. The missed estimates/slowing sales growth story has to be reported, and it's worth tracking. Just don't miss the forest for the trees. In my opinion, the company's greatest challenge is the need to keep customer service levels high since there's been anecdotal evidence it's been slipping. Also the company needs to increase penetration in the server business.

For the long haul, however, Dell has the technology, management team, and business model to reward shareholders for years to come.

News to Go

Life insurance company John Hancock (NYSE: JHF) raised $1.7 billion by selling 102 million shares at $17 a piece last night. The shares will begin trading today on the New York Stock Exchange.

Optical networking equipment company Sycamore Networks (Nasdaq: SCMR) will split its stock three for one on February 14. Shareholders on record as of February 4 will receive two shares for each share they own. Sycamore closed last night at $300 1/16.

Pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly (NYSE: LLY) reported that fourth-quarter net income (excluding one-time events) increased 22% to $671.7 million, or $0.61 per diluted share, compared to $561.6 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, a year ago. The results were in line with analyst estimates.

More Foolishness

Fools debate whether Coke is losing its fizz... Start investing as a student, but find out how it might affect your financial aid options... Let us know how you get here.

BREAKFAST WITH THE FOOL
Archives

Please visit our sponsors.

NewsWatch
Today's Features and Archives
Breakfast With the Fool
Fool Plate Special
  • Fool On the Hill
  • QuickNews

Feedback about News & Commentary? Please send mail to news@fool.com.

• Email this to a Friend
• Format for Printing

Free Home Delivery!

Learn how the Rule Breaker Portfolio has crushed the market at rulebreaker.Fool.com

Enter symbol(s):
News
Overview
Messages

Headlines
FOOL NEWS

Breakfast With The Fool -- Dell Misses Estimates, Not Big Picture

Daily Double -- Motorola Inc.

Dell Warns of Fiscal Q4 Shortfall

QuickNews for Wednesday

CheckFree Keeps Slipping

Fool On The Hill -- Are "Value Investors" Fools or fools?

CDW Caps Strong Quarter on Great Year

Fool Plate Special -- Qual-common Sense on a Bumpy Day

Party Time for Tupperware?

StockTalk With Oracle

Dueling Fools -- UPS

Earnings Calendar for This Week

OTHER SOURCES

Akamai Sales Grow 206% [Business Wire]

Dow Profits Jump 35% [PRNewswire]

Microsoft Invest $5 Million in Interland [CNET]

Laying Out the .Com Bucks for Superbow [Wired]

News Specials Strategies Retirement Personal Finance School Help
Legal Information. 1995-1999 The Motley Fool. All rights reserved. Archives · Contact Us · Work at the Fool