From: Jim O'Connor [mailto:jim243@bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 11:21 AM
To: Larkin Kathleen A CONT NSSC; ggainer@yahoo.com; hpd@woodland.org
Subject: RE: Fwd: Rule Maker: American Express Changes Fees

All in favor?   Aye!

-----Original Message-----
From: Larkin Kathleen A CONT NSSC [mailto:LarkinKA@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 9:37 AM
To: 'ggainer@yahoo.com'; hpd@woodland.org

I second that motion.

-----Original Message-----
From: G Gainer [mailto:ggainer@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 8:57 AM
To: hpd@woodland.org

I e-move (if I may) that we stop any action to
switch brokers, and reevaluate choices at the
next meeting.

-G

SIZE=5><B>______________________________________<FONT

href="http://www.lnksrv.com/m.asp?i=136747">Scottrade</a>

href="http://www.lnksrv.com/m.asp?i=136748">Open

SIZE=5><B>______________________________________<FONT

href="http://www.lnksrv.com/m.asp?i=136749">announced</A>

href="http://www.lnksrv.com/m.asp?i=136750">launched</A>

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136751">Discount

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136752">table</A>

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136753">article</A>
> discussing <B>General Electric's</B> (NYSE: GE)
> approach towards moving its businesses to the
> Internet. My opinion is that GE is doing a
> great job converting its business from an old
> economy model to a new economy one. Before
> making the switch, GE tries to learn as much as
> it can about what its customers want and how
> its competitors could destroy its business.
>
> From what I've seen, it looks like American
> Express rushed to get its online brokerage open
> before it fully understood the related business
> model. You could argue that the reason for the
> changes is to combat the efforts of day-traders
> using it to cut costs.
>
> Why do I say this? A few months ago, the policy
> was changed to charge commissions on same-day
> buys and sells of the same security, a
> technique favored by day-traders. Many of these
> trades were also likely to have been limit
> orders, which are more expensive for a
> brokerage to process. Now American Express has
> decided to charge for <I>all</I> limit-order
> trades.
>
> My view is that, unlike GE, American Express
> failed to consider the impact day-traders would
> have on a business model it most likely created
> to court long-term buy-and-hold investors.
> Based on a discussion I had with the company
> about this issue last Friday night, these
> changes should also provide some additional
> revenue to upgrade the services it can offer to
> its customers. That actually sounds good, but
> I'm not so sure. The problem is that the switch
> has likely cost the company a lot of
> credibility with customers and shareholders.
>
> From what I can tell from my survey of the
> Fool's message boards, many people moved their
> accounts to American Express Brokerage because
> of the free trades. (Check out the following
> links for discussion board posts.)
>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136754">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13356807</A>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136755">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13350855</A>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136756">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13329079</A>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136757">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13336964</A>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136758">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13340117</A>
> -<A

href="http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=136759">http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp
?mid=13361154</A>

> I realize companies are in business to make
> money, but I think these changes go too far.
> Worse, it hints American Express didn't think
> the issue through, or simply planned the move
> all along. Free limit orders were totally
> eliminated. In an era when most brokers have
> been lowering commissions, American Express
> <I>raised</I> them.
>
> Worst of all, I think the changes were a
> violation of the trust that exists between a
> company and its customers. It's hard not to
> have the perception that a "bait-and-switch"
> strategy was used to attract as many new
> customers as possible, while all along the plan
> was to pull the rug out from under them with
> changes like these once the accounts were
> established.
>
> When I called the company I was also told that
> complaints about the changes outnumbered
> positive reactions by about 20 to 1. This is
> also something that troubles me as a
> stockholder. The likely outcome of these
> changes is that, if they are not either
> rescinded or modified, American Express will
> lose existing accounts and/or attract fewer new
> accounts.
>
> In addition, the changes to the fee structure
> make American Express' position in the
> marketplace hard to characterize. Previously, I
> would have classified it as a low-cost
> provider. Now, it's not quite an
> <I>expensive</I> provider, but it's not cheap
> either.
>
> The bottom line is that American Express
> management is guilty of some missteps. By
> apparently failing to fully understand the
> nature of online trading from the get-go, it's
> made changes that could result in lost
> business. It also raises questions about the
> management
=== message truncated ===